American Lubricator and Brass Co. and Sterling & Skinner Manufacturing Co., two established Detroit-based manufacturers of brass valves and fittings, merged in 1928. They adopted a new name, Consolidated Brass Company, and Conbraco Industries was born. After 75 years, Conbraco is an American success story that’s still being written.
Despite a weak economy in the early years, Conbraco thrived, driven by a spirit of innovation and a shared commitment to hard work and teamwork. That energy enabled the new company to succeed. Demand for valves and flow control products in new materials, designs and sizes was on the increase and Conbraco responded.
Twenty-five years after its founding, Conbraco began planning a major expansion. The company bought land outside Charlotte, N.C. in 1955 for a new headquarters, plant and foundry. It took five years to build, but in 1960 Conbraco moved its entire operation south.
The new facility was distinguished by its degree of advanced design, manufacturing and testing technology. It was a formula the company would rely on later as it built new manufacturing and foundry facilities in Pageland and Conway, S.C.
Conbraco earned a reputation for developing new products to meet emerging market demands. In 1968, the company introduced its Apollo® Series 70 ball valve to the commercial market.