The history of CELENIT is the history of its founder, Gherardo Svegliado, a chemist-physicist at Montedison and mechanical engineering enthusiast. In 1963, after doing market research throughout Europe, he decided to acquire a share of small insulating panel plant.
The production of panels was completely manual and natural. Workers used to fill molds with a special mix of wooden strands, water, Portland cement and marble dust.
These panels were the first type of industrial insulating products, which were mainly produced and used in Northern Europe, where the importance of insulation had already been understood at that time. With the advent of plastic materials, insulating products such as polyurethane and polystyrene appeared in the market, but the CELENIT sustainable product has retained its market share, which is now growing, thanks to the market’s increased sensitivity to environmental protection.
The early 1970s marked a turning point, when Gherardo Svegliado left Montedison and bought the production line of insulating panels for the construction industry – the famous Populit, similar to the modern CELENIT panels - from the historical company S.A.F.F.A., founded in 1871 and based in Milan.
Gherardo Svegliado was a well-educated man with a scientific background and technical passion, which allowed him to continuously improve his production line, transforming a very simple machine into an increasingly sophisticated and complex plant that is in constant evolution and therefore requires constant integrations and modificationsi. The modern CELENIT was born.